Here are a few things I learned from my first front load washer dying experience.
- read a few how-tos online
- dilute the dye in hot water
- wet the clothes, then put in the washer
- set to the hot/cold heavy duty wash setting (mine was a 57 min cycle)
- push start on the washer, and then slowly add the dye/water mix to the laundry detergent slot.
- no need to pause the cycle, they came out perfect!
- You can dye a darker color next without cleaning the machine. I did pink first, then the purple, then blue with no in-between cleaning.
- clean with some old towels and diluted bleach. (1 cup bleach diluted) Pore the bleach in to the detergent slot after the wash starts. I just used a quick cycle to clean. (towels didn’t seem to get any dye on them, or bleach spots)
- dye that gets on the outside of the washer can be cleaned up with bleach. I wiped and it didn’t look like it was working, but after a few minutes the dye mark disappeared!
- the dye job comes out much more even than my sink or pot dying.
- I WILL BE DOING THIS AGAIN ;o)
Looking forward to seeing you around the blog…. don’t be a stranger!
Kelley @ Miss Information says
Hey Emily, love it I have nominated you for a blog award go check it out