With my boys in school/pre school I find myself eating lunch alone some days. And guess what? I love it! There are things I want to eat that the rest of the family isn’t excited about, so I’m taking advantage of my lunches and cooking for ME! I’ll probably be sharing a few more fun lunches in the coming months… I had this wasabi egg salad last week for the first time on rice cakes and knew it would be a new favorite.
You can eat this wasabi egg salad on crackers, bread, lettuce or rice cakes as I am. I love not only the flavor of this meal, but also the fact that it’s healthy for me. Made from one whole egg, and an extra egg white, the protein keeps me full without being a million calories. Rice cakes are a great base too, because they are very low calorie.
Are a fan of wasabi? I don’t eat it with my homemade veggie sushi, but I do like it in some recipes… Like this Asian Potato Salad recipe. In this Wasabi egg salad the flavor is very slight, but it adds a little zing to egg salad which just makes it tasty to me. I also love adding celery to my egg salad for a great crunch.
- 1 hard boiled egg + 1 hard boiled egg white
- 1 tsp low fat or fat free mayo
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- drop wasabi
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- dash garlic salt
- black sesame seeds for garnish
- 3 rice cakes
- peel the hard boiled eggs and remove one yolk. Smash the eggs with a fork into small bits. Chop the celery finely.
- Add the celery to the eggs. Add the mayo and mustard and dash of garlic salt. Add wasabi SMALL bits at a time... taste as you add the wasabi. Spread equally on three rice cakes or other base of your choice. Garnish with sesame seeds.
I’m excited to also have another way to eat eggs. I like using them to make simple lunches, but I do get tired of cooked eggs. This wasabi egg salad will be a great lunch for me for the rest of the school year…. which on that note… I can’t believe how soon summer will be here!! WAHOOO summer!!!
yum! okay, that’s it for me today. What’s your favorite lunch? Does your family like it? or is it just a ME lunch?
Here are a few more Asian inspired meals..