inside: this potato soup is a family favorite whenever it is cold. We love the little zing of flavor it has as well.
I love soup! And I love this zesty potato soup recipe! In the winter months I make it a lot. My husband is also a huge soup fan.. the kids… not.so.much. But that doesn’t stop me from making lots of soup and I’m always looking for new recipes. A few years ago I found this recipe when I was looking for holiday party recipes. I wanted to make a big batch of soup to serve at my husbands’ staff dinner. It turned out great and I’ve made it several times since then. When I was thinking of a recipe that used Tabasco, this popped into my mind. Tabasco is what makes this potato soup so zesty, and different from my other potato soup recipes.
Zesty Potato Soup Recipe –
This Zesty Potato Soup Recipe is quite easy to make if you have all the ingredients ready. Add Tabasco to your liking, we like it hot, so I used more, but taste as you go.
- 3 lbs red potatoes scrubbed
- 4 TBS 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 lb Velveeta Cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 tsp Original Tabasco
- 8 Oz. bacon
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh chives, chopped
- can prepare ahead:
- dice and cook bacon in a pan until browned. Drain and set aside. Cut potatoes into 1/2" cubes and boil in a larger pot with water to cover. Boil 10 min, drain and set aside.
- In large soup pot melt the butter, add the flour and whisk until a smooth paste. Slowly add the milk and chicken broth, continue to whisk. When it begins to thicken, add the cheese.
- Add the potatoes and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add Original Tabasco. Lower heat to a simmer and cover. Cook 30 min, stirring often.
- Put in bowls and garish with bacon, cheese and chives.
How to make potato soup –
Did you know Tabasco comes in several flavors? I’m most familiar with the original, but when I was picking mine up for the recipe I saw that it also comes in Jalapeño, and Chipotle flavored sauces… makes me want to try those too!
I think the toppings are what make a soup really amazing, you know? They give great texture and more flavor to this already tasty soup. You can also personalize the flavor of the soup by adding more bacon or whatever you really like.
Do you have a favorite soup recipe? Or Tabasco recipe? I’m always looking for more ideas!! What soup recipes are your favorite?